The Culture Supplier – Marcus Gilmore
Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee: “Just Tell Him You’re The President” (Season 7, Episode 1)
They chat, they joke, they drive a classic 1963 Corvette. When President Obama appears on Jerry Seinfeld’s online show Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee, their conversation topics range from nothing to the sanity of world leaders and the merits of profanity.
Much of the talk also centers on what it’s like for a guy to live in the Oval Office, the White House and a position of extreme power. A recurring theme: how a regular person adjusts to both the privilege and the stress that come with the presidency.
When Seinfeld asks Obama, “How many world leaders do you think are just completely out of their mind?” the president answers, “A pretty sizable percent.”
The pair were never allowed to leave the White House complex, although Obama did take a turn driving the Stingray — which bore a bumper sticker reading, “My other car is a 5 ton bulletproof limousine.”
Some highlight questions:
- “You ever go on eBay?”
- “What sport is politics? Is it chess? Is it liar’s poker?”
- “Have you ever touched a thermostat in here?”
And some of Obama’s answers:
- “It’s not cool, generally, wandering around in my underwear.”
- “They don’t put out suits. I have a closet like normal people do.”
- “I do really well with the 0-8 demographic. They love me,” Obama says, crediting his ears — and the fact that small children like to say “Barackobama.” He adds, “It’s like a Nickelodeon thing.”