This week we’ll be learning a few facts about Australia. Below are 15 things you probably didn’t know about the land down under.
- Australians invented the term selfie. Genius!
- There are more kangaroos than people. They may be looking at a contraceptive pill to control the population.
- Speaking of contraceptives, Australian koalas are in danger of extinction because over half of them have chlamydia. Guess they forgot to strap it up.
- Australia has 10 times more camels than koalas; it also exports camels to Saudi Arabia.
- 75% of the living species are unknown to man.
- Australia’s first police force was compiled of well-mannered convicts. The original Suicide Squad.
- Australia has over 10,000 beaches. If you visited one new beach in Australia every day, it would take over 27 years to see them all.
- Wombats produce cubic shaped
- Each year, Brisbane hosts the world championships of cockroach racing . YUCK!
- Indigenous people inhabited Australia for nearly 50,000 years before the British colonized. Unfortunately, there was a genocide committed against the indigenous people in an effort to create a more “white Australia”.
- Dendrocnide Moroides is a plant native to Australia. It will make you vomit just by touching it. The sting has been known to kill humans and other animals. Ouch!
- Australia was the second country in the world that allowed women to vote.
- The city of Melbourne used to be called Batmania.
- The average Aussie drinks 96 litres of beer per day.
- An Australian man attempted to auction New Zealand on eBay. He was probably drunk from the beer.