Face Beat by…You?
Lately the tag #MUA has been everywhere! It seems like all women are getting more and more into makeup trends and creating the perfect flawless face. As minorities, specifically Black women, it’s a little more difficult to find the perfect shade for your skin; many brands tend to leave the skin too chalky or too dark. Here’s a little help guide for what to buy! Foundation is the trickiest product to purchase for Black women. Also, remember foundation should be picked based on the kind of coverage you prefer. If you would like a simple everyday look, lean towards light coverage products or BB creams. For a more fancy, “night on the town” special occasion, pick a full coverage product. Because foundations are hit and miss, you get the bonus of a few small details about them.
For years, women of all ethnicities have raved about this product. It comes in 19 different shades, so you’re more likely to find one that matches you perfectly. It is slightly pricey, but this is the best case of “you get what you pay for”
I mean…it’s the old tried and true MAC. I don’t really have to say much here….
If you have an oily or combination skin type, this product will work very well. It stays put all day! Kat Von D Lock-It Foundation is usually perfect for Black women with a lighter complexion. However, Black women with deeper skin tones have stated that this foundation sometimes has to be mixed with a darker shade in order to achieve the correct color. Nobody has time to be buying 2 different foundations, so let’s just keep it moving, shall we?
Ok, I know what you’re thinking, what’s with the big price jump? But this is really a great drugstore brand! It is matte. It stays on most of the day. It’s great for an everyday look. And most importantly, its only $8. What more do you want, really?
Black Radiance Color Perfect Liquid Makeup, Pressed Powder, True Complexion BB Cream (Retail $4.99-5.99)
Yes, earlier I said you get what you paid for. But honestly, that is not the case here. Black Radiance matches the skin of Black women almost perfectly. Personally, I love it more than I love my more expensive foundations. They have a full range of products in all coverages. They should really charge way more for this stuff.
· Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz (retail $21.00)
· Kat Von D Tattoo Brow (retail $19.00)
· Make Up For Ever Aqua Brow (retail $22.00)
· Urban Decay Brow Beater Microfine Brow and Brush (retail $20.00)
· Maybelline Eye Studio Brow Precise (retail $7.99)
· BECCA Shimmering Skin Perfector Pressed (retail $38.00)
· Benefit Cosmetics Sun Beam Golden-Bronze Liquid Highlighter (retail $26.00)
· Inglot Sparkling Dust (retail $16.00)
· Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara (retail $23.00)
· Benefit Cosmetics They’re Real! Lengthening & Volumizing Mascara (retail $12.00-24.00)
· Benefit Cosmetics Roller Lash Curling & Lifting Mascara (retail $12.00-24.00)
· Urban Decay Perversion (retail $22.00)
Those are the basics! Remember: makeup should NOT change your skin tone, only make it appear to be more even. Eyeshadows and eyelashes are more of a “to each his own” type of thing, so buy whichever of those you think looks pretty. Now go forth and blend for the gawds!